Saturday, November 2, 2013

Canning, canning, and more canning

I have had a major breakthrough in my "housewife" skill set. I have finally figured out how to can--without help! I have done it before, but I was pretty timid and always wanted a second person there. This year I took some initiative and went out to the church orchards and bought apples and plums. My mom came along too and we made a day of it. I ended up canning applesauce, apple butter, apple pie filling, plum jelly, and habenero jelly! I did have help on the plum jelly and apple butter, but the rest I was able to figure out on my own!
Here's one of my canning helpers...canning his pretend fruit. :)
 
 This kid had a blast making applesauce. He told me it's one of his favorite things to do!
 Bryant was so sweet and took time out of his busy day to help me peel, slice and core apples for my apple butter. The whole process went so much faster with his help-I am one lucky girl!
 All my boys helping me: 
 I decided to be a stylish canner and wear my cute apron Trudy made for me. I was afraid to get anything on it because it's cuter than my clothes, and luckily it came through the process clean. :)
 Homemade, sugary, delicious apple pie filling! 
 Spicy hot habanero jelly with habaneros from our garden. These are strictly for Bryant. 
I feel like I have accumulated quite a bit of food storage over the past couple of months. It feels good to be more self sufficient and know that I am now better able to provide necessities for my family. 

No comments: